Preparation for Learning and Teaching at Oxford
Course for DPhil students and postdoctoral researchers who wish to start teaching at Oxford
DESCRIPTION AND STRUCTURE
The Preparation for Learning and Teaching at Oxford (PLTO) course is an introduction to teaching at Oxford.
It is tailored to local requirements and run by departments, faculties and divisions. It is intended for DPhil or postdoctoral researchers who wish to start teaching at Oxford. College staff are welcome to apply.
It aims to provide course participants with the opportunity to:
- learn about the Oxford teaching system, including tutorial/small group teaching contexts, and departmental organisation/reporting systems
- find out about local teaching practices and ways of teaching in your specific context
- discuss teaching challenges with peers and more experienced teachers
- discuss ways to get started with your teaching
- find out where and how to access departmental and/or divisional resources to support ongoing reflection on your teaching and the development of your teaching skills
- find out about further teaching development opportunities offered by the University, for example, the Advancing Teaching and Learning programme.
It is University policy that DPhil researchers should attend a PLTO programme or equivalent before they start teaching.
Please use the divisional links for local requirements for PLTO courses:
To apply for a place and for further details, follow the divisional links:
For general enquiries, please contact us at
Teaching & Learning Newsletter
Subscribe to our termly Teaching & Learning Newsletter